The West Australian Football Commission and the AFL value the contribution that volunteers make to the game of Australian Football. To recognise the efforts of volunteers the WAFC are presenting awards in eight categories. The WAFC is calling for nominations for the following award categories.
- WA Football Volunteer of the Year
- NAB AFL Auskick Volunteer
- AFL Diversity Ambassador
- AFL Primary School Ambassador
- AFL Secondary School Ambassador
- AFL All Abilities Volunteer
- Go For 2&5 AFL Junior Coach of the Year
- AFL Senior Coach of the Year
The WA Football Volunteer of the Year is the most prestigious award and will be presented to someone who makes an outstanding contribution in a volunteer capacity.
All finalists for the WA Football Volunteer of the Year awards are invited to the finalists function proir to the Sandover Medal. At this function all award winners will be announced excluding the WA Football Volunteer of the year will be announced. This award will be announced at the 2021 Sandover Medal.
WA was the first State to recognise its volunteers on such a large scale. The award’s success has prompted the AFL to run the program nationwide.
Anyone involved in football at any level is eligible to be nominated for the award through their local region or district or by the WA Football Commission.
Some special ways to thank a volunteer include:
- Nominate them for the Football Volunteer of the Year
- Weekly, Monthly and Annual Awards (At a District, Club or Team Level)
- Articles on individual volunteers in newsletters
- Articles in local newspapers
- ID Badges, cards, hats and shirts for volunteers
- Ask them to train other volunteers
- Award life memberships to exceptional volunteers
- Ask your team to write thank you notes to your volunteers
- Hold special volunteer events
- Name awards after key volunteers in your club
- Ensure volunteers are reimbursed for their out of pocket expenses
- Provide volunteers with recognition certificates for their services
- Acknowledge volunteers at club meetings
- Offer letters of reference for volunteers
- Where possible, reduce membership fees for to the families of volunteers
- Offer and pay for training and accreditation courses for volunteers
- Thank you letters from the club committee to volunteers